Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

It's in the Bag


I decided to create a raised garden by double stacking bricks and removing six inches of the existing dirt.  The ground here is very hard and rocky and vegetables do not grow well.

We then partitioned into six “mini-beds” and proceeded to fill the beds with garden soil. This worked out nicely in theory, but I had no idea of the cost of filling the beds with decent soil. 




I had heard that you can get a truckload of garden soil cheap, but you really need a pickup for that sort of thing and we have two cars.  I decided to just start buying a few bags at a time as I had the money. At this point, I still have two beds waiting for soil.  The garden is still very much a work in progress.



You may notice that the beds are not exactly level.  I know they look a little like a garden from a Tim Burton movie, but there is a reason.  If you live in the burbs, you may be familiar with easements.  Basically, this is an area where there are utility lines buried.  In our case, some of them were not buried.  You can see one of them in the second photo in my April 14, 2012 post (the orange cord) Lucky for us, Kepler was never interested in chewing on it.


To make a long story short, it is not wise to build anything you are not willing to have destroyed in the event the utility company needs to get to their lines.  We decided not to go through all the work of leveling it off, just to have it all torn up.  I actually prefer the less structured feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment