Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The BIG Pot


We decided to make the two beds in the back flowerbeds.  Flowers attract bees, butterflies and if you are lucky, hummingbirds.  These are good to have around to pollinate your fruits, veggies and herbs.

My hubby found a HUGE pot that he paid a minimal price for.  He thought it would look nice in the middle of one of the flowerbeds with a Mexican lime tree in it.  We set out to make it happen.  It turned out to be a nice focal point of the garden.  Of course Kepler was right in the thick of it all.



I decided in July it was time to give up until the temperature dropped and we got some rain.  I didn’t think it would take so long, but by September it started to drop under 100 degrees during the day and we got a little rain.  I decided to plant my winter garden.

I planted acorn squash, fava beans, beets, turnips, swiss chard & cabbage.   I also decided to plant some flowers in the back beds.  They seemed to like the cooler weather.  I planted zinnias, morning glories, marigolds and a hummingbird and butterfly mix.   






A few days after I planted the flower seeds, we finally got a hard rain and most of the seeds washed into the brick path.  I decided to leave them and plant more in the bed.  We now have a nice crop of flowers growing in the walkway.


No comments:

Post a Comment