Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Spring 2011


I started my garden in the Spring of 2011.  Thinking  this would be the ideal time, I went by the book on what to plant and when to plant it.  Burpee has a great growing calendar that you can customize to your zip code.  It can help you decide which crops are best to plant in your area at any given time of the year.


I also used the Farmers Almanac online to help with which days are best to plant and when it is best to do maintenance in your garden.



What I didn’t know was 2011 would be one of the hottest, driest on record in South Texas!




We did get a few very small tomatoes, eggplant, serrano peppers and cucumbers from the effort.  I made most of the cucumbers into pickles for my Mom. I figure they cost about $20 a jar with the amount of water it took to keep the cucumbers alive.  





Everything else I planted was incinerated by the sun with the exception of a few sunflowers and the squirrels had a great time eating those.


One good thing did come out of all of this.  I was able to train Kepler to chase away the squirrels and birds on command.  He makes a great scarecrow and takes his job very seriously.


Notice the squirrel climbing up the fence.




No comments:

Post a Comment